These are the perfect treat to bring to a holiday party, they will be a hit with everyone! The crunch of the shortbread and the smooth fudge will have them going back for more!
This recipe will Make one 9in baking pan about 16-25 squares
- Prep time: 30mins
- Chill time: 4 hours
Hot Cocoa Shortbread Fudge Bars
Short bread cookie crust:
- 2 cups WTF Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 1 cup vegan butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Hot Cocoa Fudge:
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut cream, stirred
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups WTF Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups vegan mini marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a small saucepan combine coconut cream and white sugar, stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Once bought to a boil, turn heat down to medium-low and simmer for 40 minuets, stirring every 5 minutes. This will make a sweetened condensed milk.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cubed butter, brown sugar and sea salt. Using an electric mixer, pulse until butter is broken up into pea sized pieces. Do not over mix - you should have some lumps in your dough!
- Spray a 8x8 or similar baking pan with cooking oil, and gently press the dough into the pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until edges are golden brown.
- When sweetened condensed milk is finished, pour into a small metal bowl or double boiler pot, along with the chocolate chips, cocoa powder, butter and vanilla.
- Stir to combine, and melt using a double boiler. When chocolate is fully melted and creamy, add in one cup of mini marshmallows. Stir them in for one minute.
- Pour the fudge mixture on top of the baked shortbread cookie crust, spreading evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle the remaining one cup of marshmallows onto the hot fudge, gently pushing them in to stick. Place the pan in the refrigerator and let chill for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
- When fudge is fully cooled and firm, drizzle with additional melted chocolate. Cut into squares and serve!
Photos and recipe by Jenna with love and lattes.